Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Grace.




One of my dearest friends in the world, Aurora Vilchis, continually encourages me... even when she doesn't mean to. That's just who she is. You feel the love of Jesus shining out of her, even when she doesn't try. One day I was visiting her to let our little baby loves play, and I saw these words on the home screen of her laptop:

"I will hold myself to a standard of Grace, not perfection".

The words stuck with me. How many times in my life am I tripped up and led astray by the delirious lie of perfection? Not only have I shoved it upon others in my life, but I carry the weight of perfection around on my own shoulders.

How often do I expect perfection from my spouse, my kids, my friends, my family, my co-workers, and perhaps most toxically, myself? How often do I throw my hands up and want to quit because it gets hard and I am just not measuring up? Or how often do we give up on others because they don't measure up?

God's love for us should be a prime illustration of this idea of perfection versus grace. His love for us is freely given and sealed in our hearts for eternity. He loves us at our best and at our worst. His grace pours over us in moments when we just can't lift our eyes. He holds us in his hands, not just when we feel good about ourselves, but He holds us when we are disgusted with ourselves.

Perhaps we hold onto our own pride and guilt tighter than we hold onto His love and promises.

God does not hold you and I to a standard of perfection. What He gives is grace. Once we can grasp the fact that He loves us right where we are, in all that we have done and are yet to do, we may then be able to absorb His love. Maybe then we can accept grace and give grace. We stand with open hands before The Lord, accepting His good gifts, so that we are able to give them away. Accept grace and give grace.

Today, I am reminded that I will never be a perfect wife. I will never be a perfect mother. I will never be a perfect friend. I will never be a perfect person...Nor will I ever live life with perfect people. Yet, in this reality, He still desires to bless me in all of these! I serve a perfect God whose love He perfectly lavishes upon me. In this truth, may I shine. May I accept His mercy and grace. May I be loved. May I be lavishly loved. May I receive it so that I can give it. May I love with all my heart.

Grace trumps perfection every time.... In my Marriage, in my family, in my friendships, and in my heart. Thank you Jesus for this sweet reminder today.

"But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, He saved us, not because of Righteous things we had done, but because of His mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that having been justified by His grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone." -Titus 3:4-8

Blessings to you all today as you accept grace, and hopefully give it.

Thank you Aurora, my soul sister, for being a blessing to me every day of my life.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

So good! I needed to hear that :)